Thursday, December 28, 2006

Various Thoughts From Christmas

1- I cannot go without mentioning something...where's all the love for Melo? Come on just because he slapped a guy and ran like a scared schoolgirl... Hey for me, I glad he ran so that he did not throw any more punches and be out even more games!

2- Next, I hope everyone enjoyed their Christmas! In keeping with the blog title, I have been overwhelmed with Luke 1-2 this Christmas. Luke's primary emphasis goes beyond the events of the Christ Child--the virgin birth, no room in the inn, shepherds, etc... His primary emphasis falls on the fulfillment of this Christ child. He is the promised Christ that was promised to Israel through, of course, Abraham and David. He is the one who has come to bring deliverance from oppressors and from sin and evil. He is the One who will have an everlasting kingdom, throne, and house. He is the Lion from the Tribe of Judah. He is the one who will bring deliverance not just to Israel, but to the entire world. This is the meaning of the Christmas event. It goes far beyond the events of the story to the actual fulfillment of all that comes with this Child. Truly, God is with us and has brought us redemption through the gift of His Son. So these thoughts have captured me and have caused me to truly rejoice in my Christ this season!!

3- If you have not heard, my wife and I are expecting number three...craziness and mayhem. So with this comes a need for a bigger vehicle. So we had been praying and looking for a while and little did I know that we would come home with the biggest vehicle on the road. Yes, the Lord was absolutely gracious in providing this vehicle to our family. The details of how we got this car are absolutely providential, and we are so grateful to the Lord for His wonderful provision.



4- I just finished reading Tremper Longman's Making Sense of the Old Testament, and much more will come from this book, but suffice to say here that I was disappointed with Longman's approach to the center of the Bible, and his thoughts concerning the christian and the Law. So those out there intrigued with OT theology be thinking about your thoughts about our relationship to the Law. He is so in the middle on every issue...so Carson like, but that is for another day.

4 comments:

OTWannabe said...

On the car, go for the Hummer. On the Law, it was fullfilled in Christ; and now we live by Spirit who produces within us the Law of Christ. Any similarities between the two laws merely demonstrate the continuity of YHWH's character as the first law was an opague manifistation of said character, why the second law was the perfect manifistation in Christ. (Pardon any sp errors, I had to type this in haste.)

Scott Osborne said...

I knew that you would get all technical with me about the size of my car!!

So I am concluding from your law theology that the Mosaic is obsolete and not binding upon the NT believer? Longman was wavering in the middle of the issue and making me sick!

OTWannabe said...

The car thing is what I do.

To the second query, yes it is obsolete but still reflects the character of God so it is profitable for the believer today.

jay baehr said...

Scotty O...

Hope you remember me...Jay Baehr...played a bit of soccer together? Dad-Bruce...brother-Nate.

Ran into your blog out of nowhere. Glad to see you are well. Let your family know I said hello.