Monday, November 20, 2006

The Center

The most challenging thought to me in regards to the OT relates to the center, the mitte. There will be many more posts related to this topic, but this opening post will address one issue--what is the significance of the Abrahamic Covenant? What function does it play in the overall message of the Bible? Those who know me are not surprised at all that the first post deals with Abraham. But my position on the AC is that it sets the blueprint for the plan of redemption in that after the initial statement of redemption in Genesis 3:15, God now gives the blueprint for how the drama of redemption will unfold. Thus, it is not too much to say that this text in Genesis 12, 15, 17 etc... are absolutely crucial to the understanding of the macronarrative of the Scriptures. It seems that after the intial gospel in 3:15 that the plan comes to fruition or the plan is laid out rather in the Abrahamic Covenant. Thus, the AC becomes the overriding covenant of the Scriptures. The plan of redemption comes through a man, Abraham, and his offspring, Christ. The narrative of Israel then is the story that brings about the Messiah. So, am I making too much of this or what are some thoughts about the significance of the AC.

6 comments:

Josh said...

I think it's a really neat covenant too.

Scott Osborne said...

Josh

Thanks for the incredible insight!!

Tim Barker said...

Scott,

I think NT theology would lend credibility to your claim at points. My contention with the whole mitte question has been how well does a theory account for all the parts.

How does your understanding relate the Wisdom literature or say Esther into the larger framework? To me some of these pieces show the justification of a proposal. Have you worked out plugging in the BT message of some of these books intor your framework?

Scott Osborne said...

Tim

I agree that any center for OT theology will not fit every category perfectly, but at the same time if one accepts the Scriptures as a unified whole, there must be a central story line. God as the center does not cut it as Hasel proposes. I do not say that every word fits into the AC, but that the goal of the entire OT is brought about through the Abrahamic Covenant.

Esther is easy to fit in as it demonstrates God's faithfulness to Abraham in preserving a people for Himself. The wisdom literature is more difficult but there are a few potential avenues that I am working on: 1- Wisdom is ultimately personified in the person of Christ. 2-I am thinking about the AC being the blueprint for the narrative storyline in the OT, thus the Wisdom literature can be overlooked. 3- The relationships between the Covenants is important. I think that the central covenant is the Abrhamic with the Mosaic/Deuteronomic administrating the AC in the OT and the New Covenant administrating the AC in the NT. Thus, the wisdom literature is dealing with life under the Old Covenant and how man/Israel can be blessed in the Old Covenant.

So let me know what you think and thanks for a comment a little more insightful than triple J's

OTWannabe said...

Scott,

Just found out about yoursite today. Love the idea!! Just wanted to say that I concur with your response to Tim, i.e. that the administrations of the A.C. in the OT is through the Deut. C. Only this seems to privide an encompassing enough of an explanation to include the Deut. lang outside of the Torah in the Prophets and the Writings.

As to your second point, "2-I am thinking about the AC being the blueprint for the narrative storyline in the OT, thus the Wisdom literature can be overlooked," I see the A.C as having a mediated relationship through the Deut. C. Your thoughts?

Scott Osborne said...

Russell

Thanks for your comments! Especially since you agree!!

Well I want to know more about what you meant by "I see the A.C as having a mediated relationship through the Deut. C."?

If by that you mean that the way the AC is fleshed out in the OT is through the Deut Cov, then I agree. I see the blessing of the AC coming upon the nation of Israel being administered in the OT through the Deut Cov. does that make sense?